Thursday, January 8, 2015

Struggles That Turned into Tender Mercy’s




 I’ve always had an attitude a little bit like my dad.  Yes, things are difficult now but I believe things are going to get better if I just keep working at it.  Over the last few months I’ve been feeling myself change and I’m not happy with the change.  Is there any hope for my family’s future?  Are we ever going to overcome the absolute destruction we’ve encountered? There have been so many years of working hard to recover from pay cuts and unemployment or just life in general.  I start to see the light at the end of the tunnel and then BAM!!!  We slam into another financial brick wall, often something totally out of our control.  The list has been endless! I have had faith for a long time, but now I feel life beating my faith out of me.  I am grieving over it.  I’m losing a part of me and I need to get it back.  That is one of the reasons I am writing this blog; to dig deep and find that faith in me again.
 
With Ethan’s first birthday coming up, I have been thinking about the labor and delivery I went through to get him here.  I remember sitting in an exam room crying as my time to deliver approached.  My obstetrician, Dr. Lamb, had informed me an on call doctor may have to deliver the baby if I went into labor when he wasn’t on call.  Dr. Lamb, who had delivered my older two kids and helped me through a miscarriage, quietly handed me a tissue.  I told him I wasn’t sure I could handle the instability of having an on call doctor deliver my baby after all the instability our family had been experiencing.  The fact that my family was living in a friend’s basement and a lot of my baby stuff was still hiding in a storage unit was almost more than I could handle.  It was January and it was COLD.  The negative temps sure didn’t help my negative attitude at the time.    

During the first week of January 2014, I was having very painful contractions and I was totally miserable; but, I wasn’t going into labor.  Because I had been induced with Parker, and because of the pain I was experiencing, I ask Dr. Lamb if I could be induced with Ethan a little earlier than my due date.  He said that it was fine with him and scheduled the induction for Thursday the 9th of January.  He also told me that I could have the nursing staff call him even though he would not be on call. Brent had an interview scheduled at a law firm in Denver for the following Monday. After 6 months of unemployment it was as big of a deal if not bigger than the baby being born.  It was the first interview Brent had scheduled in Colorado since September and it felt like our last hope of bringing our baby home to a family that was no longer unemployed and relying on charity.  The timing would be perfect!  Go in, have the baby, be discharged by Monday so Brent could go in for his interview. I finally had relief in sight!    

A friend at our church, Trish, offered to take our older kids while we were in the hospital.  I was scheduled to check into the hospital to be induced at 10 pm on the 9th of January.  Little did we know at the time that things wouldn’t be so simple, like they had been with my previous two deliveries. 
Prior to checking into the hospital we went to multiple places trying to find something to eat.  Most places were closed.  We finally made it to the hospital only to encounter a grumpy nurse who informed us that many expected moms had gone into labor just before I got to the hospital.  She also informed us there had been a scheduling error.  They had scheduled me to be induced on Friday the 10th.  There was no room for me.  I told them there was a mistake and asked them to call my doctor.  The grumpy nurse told me there was no way she was going to call my doctor.  I kept telling her that he told me to have them call him and she just snidely remarked, “That’s what everyone says about their doctor, then we call the doctor and they get mad at us for not calling the doctor on call.  I am not calling your doctor.  You should just go home and come back tomorrow night when you’re scheduled”.  All Brent and I could think about was his interview on Monday.  I was having painful contractions and asked the nurse if she would at least check me before I left.  I was checked and told that I was having contractions but I wasn’t dilated.  

By the time we were headed back home it was midnight.  I was sobbing and Brent was driving angry.  It ended up being one of the most emotionally difficult and painful nights I have ever had.  I prayed to God that night and asked why things were always so difficult and why He couldn’t just give us a break.  We didn’t end up going to sleep until 4 a.m.  At 8 a.m. I called our friend, Trish, who told me she would come to get the kids so we could sleep.  My doctor also spoke with me and said he would call the two hospitals he delivered at until one of them had space for me. Both hospitals had been busy and full but Sky Ridge, the hospital I was originally scheduled for, sounded horribly busy.  Women were laboring in the triage rooms and in the hallway.  I was also told that there had been something like six emergency C-sections that night as well.  This was double their usual number. 

After trying to get rest that day and feeling stressed that both hospitals were too busy to take us, we finally got a call from Dr. Lamb, who told us that Parker Adventist would take us that night at 7 p.m. and that he was also waiting to hear from Sky Ridge.  The charge nurse from Sky Ridge Hospital called me around four in the afternoon and told me to hurry; the hospital finally had a spot for me in labor and delivery.  We left as fast as we could.  When I walked in, the first thing I told the charge nurse was that Dr. Lamb said to call him even though he was not on call.  She responded with, “I KNOW!!  He’s been calling us all day about you”.  Then I was informed that the nurses were going to place me in a shared room but five minutes before I arrived a private room had become available.  The nurses assured me they would give me that room. 

I was shown to my room and the nurse checked me and then gave me a medication that would help start the process of labor.  I felt horrible and didn’t ever really sleep through the night.  During most of the night my amazing nurse had to keep coming in to find the baby’s heart rate on the monitor.  About four in the morning I noticed the nurse was in my room a lot watching the baby’s heart rate.  She told me with each contraction my baby’s heart rate was going down and the reason could be something as simple as the baby holding onto the cord and squeezing it with each contraction.  I remember not being too concerned by it because the nurse seemed calm.  Little did I know at that time these labor and delivery professionals always seem calm, even in the most extreme emergencies, so that you will stay calm.  It’s probably a good strategy.

When the morning nurse came in to check on me she checked to see how far along I was.  I was dilated to a two but she commented on the fact that the baby felt really high and she seemed a little concerned about that.  She was in my room a lot.  She could tell that Brent and I had some anxieties and wondered what was going on.  I let her know that it was because of the last 24 hours and how frustrating they had been and because of Brent’s unemployment and the worry we felt about him making it to the upcoming interview.  I kind of remember her saying something like, “So you’re not worried about the delivery?” and me saying something like, “Should I be?  Is there something wrong?”  As far as the nurse could tell nothing was wrong.  So I told her I wanted to have an epidural because I could no longer handle the pain.  The anesthesiologist came soon after.  He gave me the epidural, which felt a little different than the ones I had gotten during my first two deliveries.  After an hour the epidural was not working at all and my nurse was not leaving my room.   For some reason I still thought everything was fine with the baby and that the nurse was just there because of how distraught Brent and I had been feeling about our life situation. 

I was beginning to feel really frustrated that we had been hitting so many road blocks and that when things were already difficult to bear I had to bear more.  You know those experiences when you plan to go to the temple and your whole day falls apart and even the elements are against you going to the temple and you become exasperated.  That’s what this was beginning to feel like, but worse. 

The nurse called the anesthesiologist and asked him to come figure out what was going on and why the epidural wasn’t working. From this point on things seemed to go in fast forward.  The anesthesiologist was baffled, tried a few things that didn’t work and even told me this rarely happens if ever.  He had me sit up and I noticed blood on the sheet.  When I asked about it both the anesthesiologist and the nurse said it was maybe a bloody show and the nurse said she would examine me after my epidural was looked at.  While focusing on the questions the anesthesiologist was asking me I overheard Brent say, “That is a lot of blood.  Is it ok for her to be bleeding so much?”  Then the anesthesiologist told me he was going to pull out the epidural and give me a spinal tap since I was in so much pain.  During all this the baby’s heart rate was still going down with each contraction and the nurse was becoming more concerned with it.  I finally felt the sweet relief of my lower half going very numb, very fast.  The nurse examined me then told me she was going to call my doctor and have the doctor that was on the floor at the nurses station come in to look at me because of the bleeding.  I overheard someone tell my nurse that Dr. Lamb’s son had to get him out of the shower but that he was on his way.  When the doctor on the floor came in the room and saw my bleeding and the baby’s heart rate, he told me it looked like the placenta was partially detached but had to still be partially attached in order for the baby’s heart rate to keep going back up after each contraction. At that point he told me I might need a C-section.  I started crying and Brent kept asking me what was wrong.  I finally admitted that I was feeling guilty about being induced and was worried that I may have caused the problem.  The floor doctor reassured me that I had done nothing wrong and that this would have happened whether I had gone in labor naturally or if I had been induced.

I wanted Brent to give me a blessing but the nurse would not leave the room so I finally just asked him for the blessing and told her she could stay if she wanted to.  She told me she would monitor the baby from the nurse’s station and come back in 10 minutes.  Brent gave me a short but powerful blessing.  I was told that Ethan would not die and that God had a great work for him to do.  There was more that was said that brought me great peace and helped me through the rest of the ordeal.

Dr. Lamb and my nurse, Rachel, came into the room a few minutes later.  At that point it was as if pure chaos was upon us.  Dr. Lamb watched Ethan’s heart rate go from 130 to 30.  He broke my water then checked to see how far I was dilated.  He also placed a fetal monitor on the baby’s head so he could keep track of the baby’s heart rate better.  I was dilated to a 4.  Then he said, “We are going to go forward with a vaginal birth but plan for a C-section to be cautious.”  He left to get dressed.  The nurse gave papers to Brent to sign to give permission for blood transfusions and a C-section.  Then Brent was rushed off to get changed into scrubs.  The anesthesiologist came by at that time and said, “Wow! It looks like there may be a change in plans.  It’s a good thing we gave you that spinal tap.  Otherwise, if you have a C-section you would have had to go under and your husband woudn’t be allowed in the room when your baby is born”………………Come again, what did he just say?!

Dr. Lamb came back, watched another drop of the baby’s heartrate and said, “We are still going to plan on doing a vaginal birth but we are going to the operating room to deliver the baby just to be safe.”  They began wheeling me down the hall way and I heard Dr. Lamb tell me, “We are really lucky that we aren’t running you into the operating room to get the baby out as fast as possible.  This is a good thing.”  I remember thinking that it felt like an emergency but I was glad that it wasn’t as bad as it could be.   

When I got to the operating room it seemed like there was at least ten people waiting for me.  Dr. Lamb checked to see if I was further dilated and I heard him say, “She’s still at a 4.”  Then he turned to the monitor to see the baby’s heartrate during another contraction.  Everyone in the room was silent.  Then he said, “We’ve got to get the baby out, he’s not going to handle this much longer.”  The next two minutes went by very fast.  Everyone started running around. A different anesthesiologist was up by my head and started pushing things into my IV and epi line.  He was explaining what everything was and why he was giving it to me.  Dr. Lamb went out in the hall to scrub up and was casually talking to Brent and asking him about his job interview while Brent watched me with a panicked look on his face through the hall window.  Dr. Lamb came back in and kept asking for the floor doctor to come in and help him. Brent was brought in and sat next to my head on a stool.  I had been crying through this whole process but I felt at peace and knew everything would be okay.  I felt pressure in my abdomen and then I heard Dr. Lamb exclaim, “He has the cord wrapped around his neck twice and it is really tight!”  I then heard crying for about 30 seconds.  The crying stopped and I heard a nurse say, “Come here dad and cut the cord.”  Brent got up then told me how calm Ethan was.  They brought Ethan over to me and his face was smooshed and puffy but he was looking all around and didn’t seem too upset about being released from his cocoon.  Ethan was probably just relieved that the umbilical cord wasn’t choking him anymore. 


     
The nurse came to take Ethan to the nursery to get washed, weighed and measured and Brent went with him.  The two doctors started to sew me up.  At first they were chatting with each other and then Dr. Lamb started to talk to me.  He started to say, “Well now we know what was wrong.  Because your baby was wrapped up in the cord he was pulling the placenta off the uterine wall. That was also preventing him from descending down the birth canal.  Because the cord was wrapped up every time a contraction happened it would cut off his oxygen causing his heart rate to go down.  It is a really good thing you were induced.  If you had gone into labor on your own you both wouldn’t have gotten help soon enough.”  Then he started to ask about Brent’s job interview.  

Later when I was in recovery I asked my nurse, Rachel, if what Dr. Lamb said was true and she bluntly told me that being induced saved both our lives.  She said that I would have had to have a C-section no matter what and that if I had gone into labor on my own I most likely would have bled out and the baby would have died before help could have gotten to us.  I couldn’t believe it to be honest.

Then everything that had occurred over the last 48 hours came flooding back to me.  In a matter of 40 minutes every struggle we had encountered, every wall we had hit transformed from a struggle and a burden into lifesaving tender mercies.  God was very much intervening in our lives and He was doing it by giving us what seemed at the time one trial rolling into another.  I even remember thinking in the midst of it that it was ridiculous how many things were going wrong and that it seemed someone was setting us up for failure.  No one can have that bad of luck.  In reality we were being watched after and cared for.  

Just to organize it for you the following are the miracles that led to Ethan’s birth:  1) Having been induced before, 2) My contractions being severe enough that I asked the doctor if I could be induced early, 3) Having my induction misscheduled so that I would be turned away during a very busy night with nurses who maybe would not have been as attentive and who refused to call my doctor because he wasn’t on call, 4) Not being at the hospital during a night the operating room was busier than normal, 5) Being given my own room because of the attention Dr. Lamb had given me the day before,  6) Dr. Lamb providing me extra attention because of the upcoming job interview Brent had and the fact that we were in such a desperate situation of being unemployed, 7) Sky Ridge Hospital having an open spot before Parker Adventist and putting us with in a five minute drive from Dr. Lamb’s home,  8) My epidural not working the first time, causing me to sit up and discover the hemorrhaging, 9) Receiving a spinal tap so I would not be put under for the C-section and so my husband could be part of the delivery,  10) due to Brent’s unemployment I was on Medicaid and had much better coverage than we would have had if Brent was employed.  It could have financially destroyed us, more so than the unemployment.

Just before Christmas I was at a Relief Society progressive dinner.  At each home we went to a spiritual thought was given about the Savior’s birth.  I remember being caught completely off guard when the presenter mentioned that the angels didn’t visit the rich or the wealthy but the humble in heart.  I could feel warmth fill my soul and the spirit give an impression to my heart.  I felt it telling me there is significance in a humbling experience and that there was a purpose in our humbling experience and the humble circumstances of Ethan’s delivery and birth.  Ethan has been such a joy and a blessing to our family.  I can’t imagine life without him and I’m so grateful to have had both our lives spared nearly a year ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment